Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

This is just a quick blog post in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday and Read Across America Day.  (I didn't find out that it was going to be either until last night and didn't have time to prepare more.  Maybe next year!) 

Sometime I will have to do a "Spotlight on Dr. Seuss" post, because he's written and illustrated many, many wonderful books.  For today, though, I will simply share one of my favorites, My Many Colored Days.  Published in 1996, five years after his death, this is a delightful little book about various emotions.  I love the bright paintings by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher, but even more than that, I love how Dr. Seuss so aptly describes different feelings, assigning them each a color. 

My son Benjamin loves this book, also.  The two of us have read it so many times that we have the words memorized.  I remember one dreary winter day not too long ago, when we both were feeling bored and a bit dreary ourselves.  Ben walked up to me and said, "Gray Day...  Everything is gray.  I watch. But nothing moves today."  I nodded solemnly, and then we both erupted into a fit of giggles, turning our gray day into more of an orangish pinkish one!



Cheers to Dr. Seuss, who has helped to make reading fun for so many kids, for so many years!

2 comments:

  1. Love that book. I still ask my boys (8 and 11) if they are having a "gray day" when they are feeling bad and they know exactly what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that there are other people and families out there who love it like we do! :)

    ReplyDelete