Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cinquain



April is National Poetry Month, so I thought I would share some poetry-related words with you over the next couple of weeks.

The term cinquain [sing-keyn] refers to a poem or stanza that is five lines long.  There are different types of cinquains.  When I looked for them online, I found that the most common type of cinquain is one that contains 22 syllables, with a specific number of syllables for each line (two, four, six, eight, and then two again).

It took some searching, but I finally found references to the kind of cinquain that I was familiar with, the kind that I learned about in my jr. high and high school English classes.  These cinquains follow the format below:
  1. Subject (noun) - 1 word
  2. Description (adjectives) - 2 words
  3. Action (verbs) - 3 words
  4. Feelings (phrase or sentence) - 4 words
  5. Synonym for line 1, or word that sums up the poem - 1 word
I wrote several cinquains as a teenager, for my classes and also just for fun.  Here is one of them:

Drops
Silver, silent
Shining, shimmering, glowing
Embracing the green grass
Dew

It's been many, many years since I last attempted writing one, so I'm a little rusty, but here's one that I came up with this week:

Blooms:
Fresh, fragrant.
Growing, reaching, blossoming.
Filling me with joy --
Lilacs.

I hope that you will try your hand at writing a cinquain or two (or more!) this month.  If you do, I'd love for you to share your poetry here!


No comments:

Post a Comment