Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lollop


"And the big brown bear came
lolloping over the mountain...."
 

~ Grandpa, reading from a book,
in the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang


I think it probably has a lot to do with the amusing way that the actor says this line, but it's always been one of my favorite things to quote from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a movie I've loved since I was a child.  I'm sure it also has something to do with how fun it is to say the word lollop!

Lollop [lol-uhp] is a verb, meaning "to move forward with a bounding or leaping motion".  I think of it as kind of a bumbling gallop.

I am an awkward runner; I lollop more than I run.

In a hurry to catch up with her older sister,
the little girl lolloped down the sidewalk.

How would you use the word lollop?

No comments:

Post a Comment