Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Measure Me, Sky

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Measure Me, Sky

Measure me, sky!
  Tell me I reach by a song
Nearer the stars;
  I have been little so long.

Weigh me, high wind!
  What will your wild scales record?
Profit of pain,
  Joy by the weight of a word.

Horizon, reach out!
  Catch at my hands, stretch me taut,
Rim of the world:
  Widen my eyes by a thought.

Sky, be my depth,
  Wind, be my width and my height,
World, my heart's span;
  Loveliness, wings for my flight.

~ Leonora Speyer

I came across this poem in the book Favorite Poems Old and New (reviewed here), and it just made me smile.  Whenever I read it, I picture a child on the top of a hill, arms stretched out wide and face lifted to the sun.  I feel inspired and filled with hope. :)

(Just a note: When I looked this poem up online, I noticed that several sites show the last line as beginning with "Loneliness".  I double-checked the book, and it does say "Loveliness".  I don't know for sure which word Speyer actually wrote, but I do know that I'd rather have loveliness as wings for my flight than loneliness....)

(Psst... if you haven't read about the Big Blue Birthday Contest yet, please check out this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment