Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Soupçon


Recently, one of my writer friends said that the word soupçon [soop-sawn] makes her smile.  I agree that it is a fun word to say.  (It makes me think of the phrase, "Soup's on!")  After taking four years of French back in high school, I can also appreciate its French origin.  I have to admit, though -- when my friend mentioned it, I wasn't quite sure what the word meant.

It turns out that soupçon is a noun that means "a slight trace".  Its synonyms include "hint", "bit", and "dash".  Here are a few sentences I came up with:

So far this winter, we've only had 
a soupçon of snow fall in our area.

She stirred the simmering pot of pasta sauce, 
then took a taste.  "Mmmm..." she said,
 "delectable!  I love the soupçon of garlic."

The writer's manuscript, written for young adults, 
is a contemporary drama with a soupçon of comedy.

How would you use the word soupçon?

No comments:

Post a Comment