Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hyperbole


Obvious, intentional exaggeration  that is not meant to be taken literally is called hyperbole [hahy-pur-buh-lee].  I tend to use hyperbole a lot in my every day speech, saying things like:

I waited in line forever to get tickets!

It was so cold, my fingers turned to ice.

I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse!

I could sleep for a hundred years....


Hyperbole is often used when writing poetry or satire.  Here is one example:

Hyperbole of My Dog

Little Girl is my dog.
She sleeps like a log.
She has a huge mouth
And eats like a hog.
In her excitement
Her tail is a whip times ten.
When she sees food
Her eyes start to spin.

~Autumn Jones


 Do you have any favorite examples of hyperbole?  Try making your own hyperbolic sentences.  (Don't forget to share them -- I'd love to see them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment