Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Hoarfrost

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net
Have you ever seen tree branches that looked like the ones above?  If so, you've seen hoarfrost [hohr-frawst], a deposit of needle-like ice crystals formed when the air is damp, and then freezes.  Our family witnessed a similar view earlier this month, while driving to church early one Sunday morning.  We'd had fog overnight, and then freezing temperatures.  Every single tree we passed was white.  

The kids asked what the phenomenon was called.  My husband and I hemmed and hawed, not really sure, but then I said, "Um... maybe that's what hoarfrost is?  I don't know."   When we returned home later that day, I looked the word up in the dictionary and discovered I'd been right.  Next time I'll be able to say with confidence, "Oh, that's  hoarfrost!"

The forest looked like a magical wonderland,
every branch covered with hoarfrost
and sparkling in the sun.

What other interesting wintery words can you think of?

No comments:

Post a Comment