Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lexicon


A few weeks ago, my son Nick mentioned that his teachers had been giving their students vocabulary words to add to their personal lexicons.  I had a vague idea of what "lexicon" meant, but decided to look it up.  According to Dictionary.com, lexicon [lek-si-kon] is a noun meaning either "a dictionary" or "the vocabulary of a person, group, subject, or language."  (I know, it's a bit ironic -- looking up "lexicon" in a lexicon, thereby adding to my lexicon!)

I try to improve my lexicon
by learning a new word every day.

She searched for the phrase "carpe diem"
in her lexicon of Latin words.

Studying the lexicon of mathematics makes my head spin.

How would you use the word lexicon?

No comments:

Post a Comment