Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cinnabar

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

This week's word is a color, another name for bright red: cinnabar [sin-uh-bahr].  Cinnabar is also the name of a mineral, the principal ore of mercury, which occurs in red crystals or masses.  I like the way the word sounds -- it's prettier, more exotic-sounding, than "red".  When I hear it, I think of the word "cinnamon" which reminds me of fall. (Mmmm... apple crisp!)  Cinnabar reminds me of fall as well, and the leaves changing color.

The forest leaves blazed with
gold, orange, copper, and cinnabar -- 
a kaleidoscope of autumn colors.

The cardinal perched on the tree branch, 
a spot of cinnabar among the green leaves.

The orchard trees stood in rows, 
their branches laden with plump cinnabar apples, 
just waiting to be plucked and turned into pies.

What do you think of when you hear the word cinnabar? What other interesting color names can you think of?


No comments:

Post a Comment