Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Homophone


Words that have the same pronunciation but different meanings are called homophones [hom-uh-fohnz].  The words can be spelled the same or they can be spelled differently, as long as they are pronounced the same.  Here are a few examples:


I stepped on the brake when the squirrel
ran in front of the car.
Let's take a break from our work!

My pencil lead keeps breaking.
He led us through the building.

The fresh air was invigorating.
Did you know she was heir to the throne?

I was the sole person there.
When I ran through the yard barefoot,
I hurt my sole on a rock.


Can you think of other common (or uncommon!) homophones?

No comments:

Post a Comment