Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spoonerism


When someone mixes up the beginnings of two or more words (usually on accident), the result is called a spoonerism.  The term comes from the name of William A. Spooner (1844-1930), an English clergyman and educator, famous for all of his spoonerisms.

When I was a little girl, up until the age of ten or so, I always called window sills "sindow wills".  Even when people corrected me, I insisted that I had said it the right way.  (I think now that I was confusing the words with "spindle wheel", from one of my favorite Disney films, Sleeping Beauty.)  I still catch myself about to say it as an adult!

Here are a few other examples of spoonerisms:
  • a lack of pies...instead of a pack of lies
  • chew your doors...instead of do your chores
  • plaster man... instead of master plan
  • go shake a tower... instead of go take a shower

While spoonerisms are often accidental, sometimes people say (or write) them on purpose, usually for laughs.  Shel Silverstein even wrote an entire story out of spoonerisms called Runny Babbit, a very silly book! (Or should I say billy sook?)

Have you ever accidentally made a spoonerism?  Have you ever made one on purpose?  If so, I would love to hear them -- please share! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment