Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ubiquitous



I've always enjoyed learning new words and then trying to use them in my conversations or writing.  When I was in high school, a friend (who also loved words) taught me a new one -- ubiquitous [yoo-bik-wi-tuhs], an adjective meaning "existing or being everywhere, especially at the same time".  It became a kind of inside joke, and the two of us would use the word ubiquitous every chance we got.  We even made paper buttons to pin to our shirts that read, "The Ubiquitous Club: We're Everywhere!"  (I still have mine, tucked away in my high school scrapbook.)

Now I giggle whenever I see or hear the word, remembering how often we used it in the past. :)  I don't use it very much anymore, but here are a couple of sentences I wrote today, as examples:

When I was in college, cell phones were rare.  
Now, they are ubiquitous!

While camping in Minnesota, it is impossible 
to keep away from the ubiquitous mosquitos. 


How would you use the word ubiquitous in a sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment