Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lucubrate

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

For this week's word, I wanted to use something school-related. I looked online for synonyms of the word "learn" and found one I hadn't heard before: lucubrate [loo-kyoo-breyt].  According to Dictionary.com, lucubrate is a verb meaning "to work, write, or study laboriously, especially at night".

Here are a couple of sentences that I came up with:

I was planning to go to the party 
but with the grades I've been getting, 
I'd better stay home and lucubrate instead!

Some people do their best thinking 
in the morning, but not Sarah -- 
she preferred to lucubrate.

How would you use the word lucubrate? Can you think of any school-related words that you find interesting or fun to say?


No comments:

Post a Comment