Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Eldritch

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

When I asked my friends on Facebook to list some of their favorite words a couple of months ago, my brother-in-law Nathan replied with several words, including eldritch [el-drich].  I have to admit, I had never heard that word before, and had no idea what it meant.  When I looked it up in the dictionary, I realized it was a great word for Halloween! Eldritch is an adjective that means "eerie, weird, spooky".

The wind rattled the windows and 
blew through the cracks with an eldritch howl.

My heart pounded as I stood motionless 
in the darkening woods, staring up at the bare trees 
silhouetted against an eldritch sky.

How would you use the word eldritch?  Can you think of other interesting words for Halloween?


No comments:

Post a Comment