Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Algid and Gelid


This week seems like an appropriate time to share two words -- two synonyms -- that I learned recently. The first is algid [al-jid], an adjective that means "cold, chilly". The second is gelid [jel-id], another adjective that means "very cold, icy, or frosty". I've written a few sample sentences using these words:

It has been positively algid 
here this week. (True story!)

Penguins would love this gelid weather.

I love snow, but I don't like 
the algid temperatures that accompany it.

I'd much rather drink a mug of hot cocoa today
 than a gelid glass of water.

Do you like it when it's algid and gelid outside? How would you use these two words?


No comments:

Post a Comment