Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Monday, July 30, 2012

The Sidewalk Racer


Photo courtesy of
PublicDomainPictures.net


The Sidewalk Racer
or
On the Skateboard

Skimming
an asphalt sea
I swerve, I curve, I
sway; I speed to whirring 
sound an inch above the
ground; I'm the sailor
and the sail, I'm the
driver and the wheel
I'm the one and only
single engine
human auto
mobile.

~ Lillian Morrison 

I used to have a skateboard when I was younger, but I never learned how to use it.  I could maybe balance on it for a few seconds or so, but that's it.  I've always admired the people who have mastered the skateboarding skill, those who can swerve and curve and sway,  flying down the street on a skinny board with wheels.  This is a fun poem, formed into the shape of a skateboard.  I love all of the action words and images that Morrison used, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment