Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Ethereal

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Whenever I pick a word to share here on the blog, I always start seeing that word everywhere afterwards.  This week's is no exception.  I decided probably a month ago that I wanted to use "ethereal" for this week.  Soon after that, I started seeing the word in the books I was reading and hearing it used in conversations.  The director of the community choir I'm in even handed out a musical score with lyrics that contained the phrase "restless bones etherealize". *  Spooky, huh?  :)

Ethereal [ih-theer-ee-uh l] is an adjective that can mean "light, airy, or tenuous" or "extremely delicate or refined".  Here are a few sentences I came up with, using the word:

The spiderweb sparkled in the morning sunshine, 
an ethereal masterpiece of nature.

An ethereal specter floated in front of my eyes, 
confirming my suspicions that the house was haunted.

The young girl's pale face and large dark eyes 
gave her appearance an ethereal look.

How would you use the word ethereal?  Can you think of other synonyms besides the ones listed in the definition?


* From the song "Grim Grinning Ghosts"

No comments:

Post a Comment