Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Sky full of wings...

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

An excerpt:

     All those golden autumn days the sky was full of wings.  Wings beating low over the blue water of Silver Lake, wings beating high in the blue air far above it.  Wings of geese, of brant, of ducks and pelicans and cranes and heron and swans and gulls, bearing them all away to green fields in the south.

     The wings and the golden weather and the tang of frost in the mornings made Laura want to go somewhere.  She did not know where.  She only wanted to go.

~ from By the Shores of Silver Lake,
written by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I go walking at a nearby forest preserve several days each week.  When I'm there, I always pass by a small lake that attracts all kinds of birds and other wildlife.  Now that it's fall, I often see the sky there filled with wings.  Flocks of birds stop at the pond for a break on their way south. When the birds are rested and take to the skies once again, I feel like Laura.  I want to go somewhere, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment