Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Climbing

I'll admit, it's been awhile since I last climbed a tree, but when I was a kid, I practically lived in one! 

We had the perfect climbing tree, a maple, in our backyard, and whenever my family wanted me, they could usually find me there.  I ate snacks in the tree, did homework up there, played games with my sister and my friends, and read countless books while perched on my favorite branch. 

I found the following poem recently and it made me smile, remembering the days when I felt exactly like this....


Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Climbing

The trunk of a tree
is the road for me
on a sunny summer day.


Up the bark
that is brown and dark
through tunnels of leaves that sway
and tickle my knees
in the trembly breeze,
that's where I make my way.


Leaves in my face
and twigs in my hair
in a squeeze of a place,
but I don't care!


Some people talk
of a summer walk
through clover and weeds and hay.


Some people stride
where the hills are wide
and the rocks are speckled gray.


But the trunk of a tree
is the road for me
on a sunny summer day.


by Aileen L. Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment