Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Haiku

"Haiku" by Emmalie (who is studying Japanese in school)

The word for the week is haiku, a type of Japanese poetry.  The poems are short, only 17 syllables -- 5 in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 in the third.  Haiku does not rhyme, and the poems often describe elements of nature or the seasons.

I wrote a lot of haiku when I was a teenager, partly for class and partly for myself, because I enjoyed it.  Re-reading them again now, I am not too impressed with the poetry of my youth. ;)  There are a few poems I wrote back then that I still like, however, including the following:

Rich purple velvet
Opens, praising the new day --
The morning glory.

***

A star winks at me
From the black pool of nighttime,
Bidding me "good night".


While reading through some haiku online, I came across this humorous poem:

The only problem
with Haiku is that you just
get started and then

~Roger McGough


If you've never written haiku before, give it a try ~ you just might like it! :)


2 comments:

  1. I like:

    Haikus are easy,
    but sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator.

    -Emmalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling me that one before ~ too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete