Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Music

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

"This sentence has five words.
Here are five more words.
Five-word sentences are fine.
But several together become monotonous.
Listen to what is happening.
The writing is getting boring.
The sound of it drones.
It’s like a stuck record.
The ear demands some variety.

Now listen.
I vary the sentence length,
and I create music.
Music.
The writing sings.
It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony.
I use short sentences.
And I use sentences of medium length.
And sometimes,
when I am certain the reader is rested,
I will engage him
with a sentence of considerable length,
a sentence that burns with energy
and builds
with all the impetus of a crescendo,
the roll of the drums,
the crash of the cymbals --
sounds that say listen to this,
it is important."
– Gary Provost

No comments:

Post a Comment