Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Limerick

This week's word is limerick, the name of a special type of poem.  I like it because a) it's a fun word to say, and b) limericks are usually quite silly! 

Limericks have five lines: 
  • Lines 1, 2, and 5 have seven to ten syllables, and the three lines rhyme with each other. 
  • Lines 3 and 4 have five to seven syllables and rhyme with each other.

Here are a few limericks that I found online:

There was a young lady from Leeds
Who swallowed a package of seeds.
Now this sorry young lass
Is quite covered in grass,
But has all the tomatoes she needs.
~Author unknown

What a limerick is in a crunch
Is a bit like a loony's light lunch.
Though it briefly delights,
It's just four nutty bites
Swallowed down with a ludicrous  punch.
~Graham Lester

I've written a few limericks of my own, mostly for a poetry unit in English when I was a teenager.  The following is my favorite. (Heidi was one of my best friends, but I exaggerated *a bit* about the state of her room!):

There once was a young girl named Heidi
Whose bedroom was very untidy.
One day she got stuck
In all of that muck,
And we never again saw Heidi!

Do you have any favorite limericks?  Or have you written any of  your own?  I'd love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment