Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth!

Wishing you all a wonderful Fourth of July, filled with fun, your favorite summer foods, and fireworks! :)  To celebrate America's birthday, here are two short poems I found.

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

The first is from the great Shel Silverstein:



The Fourth

Oh
CRASH!
my
BASH
it's
BANG!
the
ZANG!
Fourth
WHOOSH!
of
BAROOM!
July
WHEW!

by Shel Silverstein,
from Where the Sidewalk Ends, 1974



And the second comes from a book I remember ordering at school, through Scholastic Books, when I was about seven:
From A Rocket in My Pocket,
compiled by Carl Withers,
illustrated by William Wiesner, 1974

I've got a rocket
In my pocket,
I cannot stop to play.
Away it goes!
I've burnt my toes.
It's Independence Day.


Happy Fourth, one and all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment