Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wordsmith


The word for this week is wordsmith [wurd-smith], a noun that can mean either "an expert in the use of words" or "a person (journalist, novelist, etc.) whose vocation is writing". I don't think I'd ever heard the word until maybe two years ago or so... and now I hear (and see) it all the time. I like the word. It reminds me of "blacksmith" -- I picture someone forging several glowing words together,  creating a shiny new story or poem.

I loved listening to the professor, 
a brilliant wordsmith whose entertaining lectures 
always attracted crowds of students.

I would love to be a real wordsmith 
some day, getting paid to write.

After reading a selection 
of her cleverly crafted poetry, 
I knew she was worthy of the title "wordsmith".

Do you know any wordsmiths?  Would you like to be one?

No comments:

Post a Comment