Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Menagerie


This week's word is menagerie [muh-naj-uh-ree], a noun generally meaning "a collection of wild, unusual animals, especially for exhibition".  It can also mean "an unusual and varied group of people".  I remember hearing this word for the first time in high school, when our class read the script for The Glass Menagerie, written by Tennessee Williams. (I love that play, by the way!)  It seems to me that whenever I learn a new word, I start hearing it everywhere after that -- and "menagerie" has been no exception.

Here are a few sample sentences using the word:

My son Nick has quite 
the menagerie in his bedroom; 
it includes a leopard gecko, a betta, 
and two fire-bellied toads.  
(True story.)

An amazing menagerie awaits you at Brookfield Zoo.

Sitting in the mall, I enjoyed watching 
the menagerie of shoppers walking past me.

How would you use the word menagerie?

No comments:

Post a Comment