Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Susurrant


A few months ago I was reading a book* that used a word I was unfamiliar with, susurrant [soo-sur-uh nt].  After looking it up to find out the pronunciation and the meaning, I decided that it belonged on my list of interesting and/or cool-sounding words to share here sometime.  In my opinion, susurrant is both interesting and cool-sounding. :)

Susurrant is an adjective meaning "softly murmuring; whispering".  Said aloud, the word sounds like its meaning, don't you think?  Here are a few example sentences I came up with:

Hiking through the woods, I paused a moment, 
closed my eyes, and listened to the susurrant breeze 
blowing through the trees.

The susurrant brook beside my cabin lulled me to sleep.

While waiting for the service to begin, 
members of the congregation greeted each other quietly, 
creating a susurrant sound in the large sanctuary.

How would you use the word susurrant?  What are some words that you find interesting or cool-sounding?  I'd love to hear about them!

* Unfortunately, I can't recall which book it was at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment