Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Puppy love

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

An excerpt:

     I suppose there's a time in practically every young boy's life when he's affected by that wonderful disease of puppy love. I don't mean the kind a boy has for the pretty little girl that lives down the road. I mean the real kind, the kind that has four small feet and a wiggly tail, and sharp little teeth that can gnaw on a boy's finger; the kind a boy can romp and play with, even eat and sleep with.

     I was ten years old when I first became infected with this terrible disease. I'm sure no boy in the world had it worse than I did. It's not easy for a young boy to want a dog and not be able to have one. It starts growing on his heart, and gets all mixed up in his dreams. It gets worse and worse, until finally it becomes almost unbearable.

~ from Where the Red Fern Grows,
written by Wilson Rawls

I am more of a cat person than a dog person myself, but puppies sure are cute and hard to resist! I can understand this kind of "puppy love", having felt it when I was younger, only for a kitten. I wanted one SO badly. I had to wait many years, but my dream finally came true when our family adopted the best cat ever, Hobbit. :) How about you --  have you ever experienced puppy love?

No comments:

Post a Comment