Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Spindiddly

Image courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

An excerpt:

     "[...] Sometimes words are blinky bright. Firefly bright. Sometimes words are shadows. I collect them on my shoe if I run out of room in the blue book."

     "Show me!" Jonah's green eyes sparkled.

[...]

     I pointed to the white stripe over the toe of my shoe. "Kaleidoscope: That one sparkled and it had a sound. Popped like Coke fizz until I wrote it down."

[...]

     "Did this word dance when you found it?" Jonah pointed to pirouette.

     "Spun through the air," I said, and nodded. "It reminded me of a purple ribbon."

     Jonah raised his eyebrow. "Spindiddly?"

     "I saw it on a carousel at the fair. I don't think it's a real word, so I gave it a meaning: Spindiddly means 'better than awesome.'"

~ from A Snicker of Magic,
written by Natalie Lloyd

I love how Felicity Pickle (the "I" in the excerpt above) collects words, in a notebook and on her shoe. I also like how she describes words and gives meanings to made up words. I used to collect words in a book myself. I still have that notebook in a drawer somewhere, but now I have another collection of words on my computer and I'm more likely to put new words I find and like there.

Have you ever collected words or made up meanings for nonsense words?

No comments:

Post a Comment