Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Books fall open...

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Books fall open, you fall in,
delighted where you've never been.
Hear voices not once heard before,
reach world through world, 
through door on door;
find unexpected keys to things,
locked up beyond imaginings….
True books will venture, dare you out,
whisper secrets, maybe shout,
across the gloom to you in need,
who hanker for a book to read.

~ David McCord

It's only recently that I finally found this poem and read all of the lines I'm sharing here today. (I'm not sure that this is McCord's entire poem, however -- it seems to be only a part of it.) But I've known the first line of this poem for many, many years. I used to have a set of book plate stickers (now all lovingly stuck into the front covers of my favorite books) with an illustration from Mary Engelbreit and the quote "Books fall open, you fall in...." on them. I love falling into books! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment