Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Etymology


The word I want to talk about this week is etymology [et-uh-mol-uh-jee]. According to Wikipedia, this noun means "the study of the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time".

Additionally, if I say "the etymology of _____" (and then fill in the blank with any word),  I'm referring to the origin of whatever word I used to fill in the blank. Here are a few examples using this week's word:

I love words and have always 
been interested in etymology.

Have you ever heard the etymology 
of the word "hippopotamus"? 
The Ancient Greek word "hippos" means "horse" 
and "potamus" means "river"... 
so "hippopotamus" means "river horse"!

Have you ever been curious about the etymology of the words you see and hear around you every day? How would you use the word of the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment