Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Otiose


This week's word is otiose [oh-shee-ohs]. This is a new word for me. I just happened to spot it on the Dictionary.com
website earlier this month. I had never seen or heard the word before and had no idea what it meant, so I decided to look it up and learn about it. It turns out that otiose is an adjective which means "being at leisure; idle". It can also mean "lazy" or "serving no practical purpose". Here are some sentences I came up with using the word:

My daughter is so busy with classes 
and work right now. She is longing for the otiose days 
of vacation and can't wait for Thanksgiving Break 
to hurry up and get here!

I love those times when I can stay in my pajamas, 
lounge on the couch with a good book, 
and just be otiose all day long.

I guess it would be otiose to ask you 
what you thought of that book, 
since you haven't even opened it yet!

Have you heard the word "otiose" before? How would you use it in a sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment