Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Exploring a territory...

Image courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

“The word invent 
(or even making up
has always seemed a little too 
intentional and deliberate 
for what I do, 
which feels more like 
finding things, 
coming upon them — 
places, people, patterns. 
[...]
Exploration 
is a very good word 
for what one does 
when thinking about a story 
before writing and 
while writing it. 
You are exploring a territory, 
finding out what happens there.
 Only you do it with 
thoughts, images, words, 
instead of with your body.” 

~ Ursula K. Le Guin, 
in The Wand in the Word: 
Conversations with Writers of Fantasy

I agree with Ms. Le Guin -- when I write, it really does seem more like I'm exploring a territory and finding the various parts of my story, rather than inventing it out of thin air. I gather all of the pieces I can find and then put them together with my words.

Do you ever feel this way when you are writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment