Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Slow down...

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

"For me poetry 
has always been a way of 
paying attention to the world.  
We hear so many voices every day, 
swirling around us, 
and a poem makes us 
slow down and listen carefully 
to a few things we have really heard, 
deep inside." 

~ Naomi Shihab Nye, 
in The Place My Words are Looking For


I like this description of poetry, "a way of paying attention to the world". Poems, whether I'm reading them or writing them, do cause me to slow down, examine the world around me, listen to it, and focus on things I might not even notice otherwise. Do you agree with Nye's words here? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment