Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Summer Mansion

Emmalie in the BWCA, Aug. 2010

A single mat
Beneath
A pine tree
Makes a summer mansion.

~ Issa

Issa (1763-1828) was one of Japan's most famous and prolific poets, writing over 20,000 haiku in his lifetime.  I came across a book of his poetry in a box in my garage a few months ago.  It was with other books from my childhood, so I must've had it when I was growing up, but I don't remember reading it before.  

The poem above is one of my favorites from that book.  I spent so much time playing outside when I was little, much of it in or under trees.  I loved pretending that a cluster of trees (like the one in the photo above) was my house, complete with many rooms and a carpet of needles, leaves, or moss.  I can  easily see myself sitting beneath a pine tree, imagining a summer mansion around me....

No comments:

Post a Comment