Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Running Song

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net
Running Song

I am running,
running, running.
I am running
just for fun.
Through the grass
and through the gravel
running faster
see me travel
past the people
staring, staring.
They are thinking
something's wrong.
I'm not looking.
I'm not caring.
I'm just running
hard and long.

Now my feet are
pounding pavement.
Now my heart is
pounding, too.
I can feel the sidewalk searing
through the bottom of my shoe.
How the wind is
whipping past me.
How the trees are
whizzing by.
Rushing rivers
run forever.
Maybe I can
if I try.

~ Marci Ridlon

I don't know about you, but I've been busy watching the Olympics ever since the opening ceremony in July.  I am not a big sports fan, but I am always amazed by the Olympic athletes.  I have never liked to run myself, but I admire people (Olympians and others) who do.  It seems they are always striving toward a goal, pushing themselves to run longer or faster, testing their bodies' limits.  Of course, there are some who run just for fun, as this poem shows.  Ridlon's words almost make me want to lace up my shoes and take a run around the neighborhood.  Almost. :)  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment