Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Ekphrastic Poetry


Under the Willows, painted by Francis Hopkinson Smith, 1915

While browsing through some poetry sites recently, I came across the term ekphrastic poetry [ehk-fruh-stik poh-i-tree] .  I had never heard of it before, and had no idea what it was.  After a little searching, I learned that it is poetry inspired by a piece of artwork -- a painting, a photograph, a statue, or any other kind of art form.  In other words, it is art about art.

Once I knew what it was, I wanted to try writing my own ekphrastic poem.  I looked for a painting in the public domain, one that "spoke" to me, and finally chose the picture above, painted by Francis Hopkinson Smith.  I like the sense of calm I feel when I look at it, the way the light shines on the water, and the graceful willow trees.  I chose to focus on just one tree in my poem, the one in the forefront of the picture.  Here's what I came up with:

Under the Willow

The willow,
tall and green,
leans
over the pond,
watching
patches of sunlight
dance
and
glide
over the water.
A breeze
ruffles
the leaves
on her shaggy head.
She bends
toward the shadows
and a slender branch
dips downward,
caressing
the smooth surface,
sending ripples
across the liquid mirror.
Tiny waves
lap 
against the shore
and the wooden boat
moored there.
This is a
 sanctuary--
calm,
cool,
and quiet,
under the willow tree.

~ Janelle H.

Have you ever written ekphrastic poetry?  If not, I suggest giving it a try.  It's fun!  Feel free to use the painting above for inspiration, or any other artwork that catches your eye.  I hope you will share your poetry here -- I'd love to read it!




No comments:

Post a Comment