Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

The crown of literature...

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

"The crown of literature is poetry.  
It is its end and aim.  
It is the sublimest activity 
of the human mind. 
It is the achievement of 
beauty and delicacy.  
The writer of prose 
can only step aside 
when the poet passes."

~ W. Somerset Maugham

I love both poetry and prose -- but my favorite kind of prose is poetic prose.  After thinking about it, I realized that I agree with Maugham: "The crown of literature is poetry."  What do you think of this quote?  Does it ring true for you?

1 comment:

  1. I agree and I absolutely think that poetry is the jewel in the crown of literaure even if I am totally devoted to prose!

    ReplyDelete