Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cleaning House in My Brain

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

Cleaning House in My Brain

I'm cleaning house
In my brain,
It's BACK TO SCHOOL
Time again!

Shine windows,
Paint doors,
Vacuum rugs,
Polish floors.

Brush away
TV shows,
Picnics, beaches,
Free time goes.

Bring my memory
Back in gear,
Sweep the channels,
Crystal clear.

My brain is
An amazing tool,
And it's all ready for
BACK TO SCHOOL!

~ Kalli Dakos

I don't know about you, but my kids are getting ready to head back to school in a few days.  I won't be starting school myself, but my schedule, too, will change.  My kids and I are saying goodbye to late nights and sleeping in, goodbye to lazy days and the freedom of summer.  We're gearing up for early mornings, homework in the afternoons, and the hustle and bustle of the typical school week.  We're buying new supplies for the classroom and new clothes to replace all the ones my kids have outgrown since last year.

In addition to the physical preparations for back-to-school time, students (and teachers) everywhere must ready their minds, as well.  As Dakos's poem suggests, it's time to sweep out those mental cobwebs and get those brains in shape for learning.

Wishing all the students and teachers out there a wonderful new school year! :)


1 comment: