Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Grandpas

Me with Grandpa Bear and Granny, June 1970

Me and my cousins with Grandma and Grandpa Fischer
(That's me in the top row, on the right.),  December 1976

Grandpas

Grandpas make the world a safer place
When you nestle in their arms.
They make the world seem nicer
And they keep you safe from harm.

Grandpas make the world a softer place
When you snuggle on their lap
For grandpas are so cuddly 
And they hold you while you nap.

Grandpas make the world much sweeter
For they love to give you treats
They never have a million rules
About the things that little kids eat!

Grandpas make the world a special place
By all they say and do
And the best thing that a grandpa does
Is to love you through and through!

~ Thena Smith

My grandparents have always been very special to me. When I was little, my Grandpa Bear (Bear was his nickname, not his last name) was my best buddy.  He passed away when I was only six, but I still have lots of good memories of him.  One of our favorite things to do was to sit together in his favorite chair, watching tv (Gilligan's Island or Hogan's Heroes) and savoring butterscotch candies. :)

My Grandpa Fischer was a farmer, and always used to wear bib overalls.  He would keep candy corn in his bib pocket, knowing I would look for it and find it.  I was lucky enough to have him in my life until I was a young adult, so I have many fond memories of him.  One that really sticks out took place when I was five or so.  We were visiting the farm house one morning and Grandpa brought a newborn piglet inside, letting me hold and pet it -- I was delighted!

Granny used to be a teacher.  She knew how much I loved playing school when I was a young girl -- she gave me several old textbooks and even an old-fashioned bell to use. She taught me to love genealogy, like she did, and would often tell me stories of her own grandparents and other family members.  Granny lived long enough to know my two oldest children.  She was so proud of all her grandchildren and great-grandchildren!

I am so thankful to still have my Grandma Fischer in my life, and in my children's lives.  Family and faith are so important to her.  She loves to laugh and have a good time, too!  One of my favorite memories of Grandma took place when I was a little girl, maybe four years old, and she taught me the Christmas carol, "Away in the Manger" by singing it over and over until I had it memorized.  To this day, that song brings happy tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

My grandpas -- and my grandmas, too -- have always made my world a safer, sweeter place, as Thena says in her poem above.  I'll be thinking of them today and remembering....

Happy Grandparents Day to all the grandparents and grandchildren out there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment