Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, November 2, 2012

American Autumn

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

American Autumn

O
 H,
O
A
K
T
R
E
 E,
Y
O
U
L
E
F
T
SUCH
A HEAP!
THE FRONT-
YARD LEAVES
ARE GETTING DEEP
AND I HAVE PREMISES
TO KEEP AND PILES TO 
GO THAT I MUST SWEEP AND 
PILES TO GO THAT I MUST SWEEP

~J. Patrick Lewis, 
from Countdown to Summer: 
A Poem for Every Day of the School Year


I just love the way this poem is shaped like a rake!  I also like how Lewis imitates Robert Frost's poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening".  

We only have one mature tree in our yard now -- and it has tiny leaves -- so we don't really need to rake in the fall. However, our previous house had 5 big maple trees in the yard, and I definitely remember that feeling of "piles to go that I must sweep"....

No comments:

Post a Comment