Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hubbub


I overheard part of a conversation the other day that included the word hubbub [huhb-uhb], and I just had to giggle.  "Hubbub" usually has that effect on me -- partly because it's a funny-sounding word and partly because it always makes me think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he says, "What's all the hubbub, bub?"

Hubbub is a noun that means "a loud, confused noise".  It can also mean "tumult; uproar".  Some of its synonyms are also fun to say: brouhaha [broo-hah-hah], hullabaloo [huhl-uh-buh-loo], and katzenjammer [kat-suhn-jam-er], to name a few.  Here are a couple of sample sentences I came up with:

I prefer the quiet of the country 
to the hubbub of the city.

After all the hubbub died down in the auditorium, 
the speaker continued.

The town was a hubbub of narrow, winding streets 
and lively, crowded marketplaces.

How would you use the word hubbub?

No comments:

Post a Comment