Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Apple

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com

Apple

At the center, a dark star
wrapped in white.
When you bite, listen
for the crunch of boots on snow,
snow that has ripened.  Over it
stretches the red, starry sky.

~ Nan Fry

I came across this poem a month or so ago, and it has stuck with me ever since.  I love the surprising word choices -- a dark star surrounded by white (just the opposite of what I usually think of when I hear the word "star"), ripened snow, and a red sky.  Then, when I put all these unusual images together in my mind, I think, "Ah!  Of course it's an apple!"  And now, every time I bite into a crisp apple, I think of stars and snow....

No comments:

Post a Comment