Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Serene

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

This morning I drove to a nearby forest preserve for my routine Wednesday walk.  When I first stepped onto the trail and looked out at the small pond a few yards away, the word serene popped into my head.  I kept thinking of "serene" as I walked, and finally decided I should make it the word of the week.  Serene (suh-reen) is an adjective that means "calm, peaceful or tranquil; unruffled".  While walking, I came up with these example sentences:

He leaned back against the tree and sighed, 
enjoying the beauty of the serene lake 
spread out before him.

Amidst the chaos of the high school classroom, 
she alone sat poised and serene, 
waiting for the teacher to begin the lesson.

I also came up with the rough draft of a poem:

Meditation

Palm against palm:
breathe slowly and calm.
Think back in time:
a moment sublime.
Picture a scene:
peaceful, serene.
Hear the orchestra's song:
low and long.
Breathe out, breathe in:
let relaxation begin.

~Janelle H.

What ways can you think of to use the word serene?


No comments:

Post a Comment