Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Galumph


This week's word is galumph [guh-luhmf], a verb that means to move along clumsily and heavily. It comes from Lewis Carroll's poem Jabberwocky (in Through the Looking Glass). Carroll made up the word, a portmanteau, by combining the words "gallop" and "triumph". Whenever I hear the word galumph, I think of Jabberwocky, especially this version of it by the Muppets ("Galumph, galumph, galumph!"):


Here are some examples I came up with using this week's word:

Whenever it rains, I like to put on my big rubber boots 
and go galumphing through the puddles on the sidewalk.

The black bear galumphed through the bushes, 
pausing every now and then to munch a few berries.

When I run, it is really more of a galumph.

How would you use galumph in a sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment