Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Interview with a BookWyrm: Destiny

Destiny, reading A Discovery of Witches

Name: Destiny

Age: 17

Do you have a favorite reading spot? I love to read on my bed with soft pillows and soft blankets. Or outside, especially in autumn when the weather's nice.

What kinds of books do you like to read? I typically stick to fantasy and science fiction. I love romance novels, action stories, anything that gets me to read it with rigorous attention. Lately, I've been reading mythology, psychology and philosophy -- subjects I've always thought interesting. I would like to pursue a career in one of those three things so learning about them is both fun and educational.

What kinds of things do you like to do when you're not reading? I'm really into the arts -- singing, theatre, drawing... any kind of crafting, really. I love watching fantasy movies and action movies. I'm learning how to crochet, so I'm working on that as well. My friends are a big part of my life, so I try and see them whenever I'm not doing school work or the like.

Name three favorite books (or series): The Iron Fey [by Julie Kagawa], The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices [by Cassandra Clare], and Catcher in the Rye [by J. D. Salinger].

Who are your favorite authors? Deborah Harkness -- the author of The Discovery of Witches,
Rick Riordan -- the author of Percy Jackson & the Olympians as well as The Heroes of Olympus and The Kane Chronicles, and Shakespeare -- I mean, he's Shakespeare, need I say more?

What book are you reading now? I'm currently reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (by choice) for school.

Out of school I'm desperately trying to find time to finish Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, as well as The Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.

Name a book on your "to read" list: There are so many.... Not counting finishing the 5 different series I'm getting to the end of, I would say the next book on my "to read" list would probably be Peter and the Starcatchers [by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson].

Other than the books you've already named, what book (or series) would you recommend to kids or young adults? For both teens and adults I would recommend any of the "classic" novels or authors: C.S. Lewis, Lewis Carol, Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Dickens, Jane Austin...

For those of the younger persuasion, read the Artemis Fowl series [by Eoin Colfer] or Harry Potter [by J.K. Rowling].

***

Destiny, thank you very much for doing this interview and sharing your love of books with us! I will be sending you a bookmark to show my appreciation. :)

For the rest of you: I am looking for more volunteers age 18 and under (or parents, volunteering their children!) to appear in future interviews. If you are interested, please message me on the Blue Sky, Big Dreams Facebook page. I will send you a list of the interview questions which you can fill out at your leisure and then return to me along with a photo of your child (or yourself) reading. (The BookWyrm's face does not need to show in the picture and I will only share the first name or first initial of the BookWyrm, depending on your preference. I respect your privacy and safety.) I will send out a handmade bookmark to each of my interviewees.

No comments:

Post a Comment