Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

No books left...

Image courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

“All of us can think of a book... 
that we hope none of our children 
or any other children 
have taken off the shelf. 
But if I have the right
 to remove that book from the shelf - 
that work I abhor - 
then you also have exactly the same right 
and so does everyone else. 
And then we have 
no books left on the shelf for any of us.” 

~ Katherine Paterson

I believe that parents should pay attention to the books that their children are reading and discuss them with their children. If there is a book a parent disapproves of, I believe that parent has the right to restrict his or her own children's access to it, particularly when they are young. 

However, I also believe that no parent (or anyone else, for that matter) has the right to say which books other children can or cannot read. Things that I might find offensive, others may not -- and vice versa. As Paterson says, if we each got rid of the books we don't like, there would soon be no books left. And what a sad, sad day that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment