Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Malapropism


The word for this week is malapropism [mal-uh-prop-iz-uh m]. According to Your Dictionary, the word is a noun meaning "the act of using an incorrect word in place of one that is similar in pronunciation". These mistakes often result in amusing sentences, like the following:

I'm an eternal optometrist.
Instead of: I'm an eternal optimist.

For all intensive porpoises, this is a silly sentence.
Instead of: For all intents and purposes, 
this is a silly sentence.

I resemble that remark!
Instead of: I resent that remark!

Don't take me for granite.
Instead of: Don't take me for granted.

Have you ever heard or said a malapropism that made you laugh? I'd love for you to share it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment