Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

The color of the sun.

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

An excerpt:

     Then one day the sun did not shine as hot as fire. And blackbirds, skies full of blackbirds, began flying over the big field. There was a burning smell of leaves in the air and a crisp tingle that tickled the fat little pumpkin's sides. [...]

     [...] The first cold frosts came in the night. and the fat little, round little, yellow little pumpkin woke up one morning and discovered that he was a fiery orange-yellow pumpkin. The color of the sun. A fierce, burning color.

~ from The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin,
written by Margaret Wise Brown

I love all of the descriptions Brown uses in her story: "skies full of blackbirds", "a burning smell", "a crisp tingle", "fierce, burning color", and so on. Each one helps paint a picture of autumn in the reader's mind. When I think of fall, my mind goes first to colorful leaves, but right after that I think of pumpkins, like the one in this story. Pumpkins are cheerful things, I think. I love their fiery colors and their plumpness -- they make me smile! :) 

What parts of this excerpt jump out at you?

No comments:

Post a Comment