Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Friday, June 8, 2012

The Humming Bird

Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net

The Humming Bird

The sunlight speaks, and its voice is a bird:
It glimmers half-guessed, half-seen, half-heard,
Above the flowerbed, over the lawn --
A flashing dip, and it is gone,
And all it lends to the eye is this --
A sunbeam giving the air a kiss.

~ Harry Hibbard Kemp

We haven't had much luck enticing hummingbirds to our yard -- we've only seen one once in the seven years that we've lived here, checking out the bee balm flowers by our front porch.  My parents, on the other hand, are hummingbird whisperers, it seems.  The tiny birds come to the feeders outside their kitchen window several times a day, every day, every summer.  Whenever we visit them, it is such a treat to sit and watch the hummingbirds.  I think Kemp's poem describes these miniature creatures to a T.  I especially like the second line -- and the last.

(Psst... if you haven't read about the Big Blue Birthday Contest yet, please check out this post.)

2 comments:

  1. Very good poem!

    We had lots of hummingbirds last summer. I put out feeders a few weeks ago and I had 3 hummingbirds coming and then we had to leave for 2 weeks to help out when my grandson was born, I filled 2 feeders full before we left in hopes it would be enough until we got back but I guess it wasn't because they had eaten it all and left, I put out more in hopes of drawing them back but with no luck. I hope they will come back next year. I really miss them, I have my feeders on the back porch and can see them out my kitchen windows too. They are so interesting & fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they'll come back, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete