Welcome

A blog for kids (and their parents) who love books, words, and dreaming big...
I'm so glad you stopped by! Welcome.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

What one book?


"If anyone were to pose to me 
the classic question, 
What one book 
would you take to a desert island? 
I would answer, 
a big, unabridged English dictionary. 
... I think I could live happily 
among all those words 
until company arrived." 

~ Charlotte Pomerantz, 
  The Place My Words are Looking For


 I really like Pomerantz's answer above.  I think I would take a dictionary, too -- especially if I could also take a big stack of blank paper and a couple of pens.  That way,  I could write down my own stories and poems, using the words I read in the dictionary for inspiration.  If I had to pick a different book, however, I think I would try to find some really long novel that I haven't read yet and take that along.  (Though I'd much prefer to have a whole library of books available to me on a deserted island!) What one book would you take?

(Psst... if you haven't read about the Big Blue Birthday Contest yet, please check out this post.)

4 comments:

  1. I think it would be torture to try and figure out only one book!!! But if I had to I know that I would take my NIV Study Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torture, indeed! I can't imagine only having ONE book to read for any length of time, let alone a looong time on a deserted island.

    Good idea, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Potter 7 and a whole bunch of paper to write out the other ones (well as best as I could)... then I'd have 7 books to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... now there's an idea! :)

    ReplyDelete